Our Government > Town Clerk > Domestic Partner Registry > Domestic Partnerships
Registration of Domestic Partnerships
§ 14A-3 Domestic Partnership Registration.
A. Two persons may register as domestic partners if, on the date of the initial registration, they are residents of the Town or at least one partner is employed by the Town.
B. Persons desiring to register as domestic partners shall file a duly executed and notarized affidavit of domestic partnership in the Office of the Town Clerk.
C. Persons submitting an affidavit of domestic partnership must declare under penalty of perjury that:
- Each is a resident of the Town or at least one such person is employed by the Town on the date of registration; Neither is married;
- Each is eighteen (18) years of age or older;
- Each is competent to enter into a contract;
- Each is unrelated by blood to his or her domestic partner in a manner that would bar marriage in New York State;
- They share a common household;
- They are in a close and committed, financially interdependent personal relationship and intend to remain in the relationship;
- Each is the other’s sole domestic partner, and each intends to remain the other’s sole domestic partner;
- Neither has terminated a previous domestic partnership within the sixty (60) calendar days immediately prior to the filing of the affidavit of domestic partnership; and
- Each agrees to file an affidavit of termination in the event that the domestic partnership is terminated for any of the reasons set forth in section 14A-6.
D. All applicants must bring a valid form of identification in the form of a current U.S. Driver's License or valid U.S. non-driver's license, establishing residency within the Town of North Hempstead. If an applicants license does not show residency within the Town of North Hempstead, an Affidavit of Proof of Residency must be submitted.
E. A domestic partnership shall be established and effective upon the filing of an executed affidavit of domestic partnership with the Town Clerk.
F. No person shall be eligible to register in the Office of the Town Clerk as a domestic partner if such partner has terminated a previous domestic partnership during the sixty (60) calendar days prior to the filing of the affidavit of domestic partnership. The sixty-day waiting period shall not apply if the previous domestic partnership ended as a result of death or marriage of one of the partners.
Please call in advance for an appointment between the hours of
9:00 AM and 3:15 PM, Monday through Friday only.
Filing Fee-$35.00 Cash or Money Order Only.
Applicants must show 1 form of Government ID e.g. Driver's License
Affidavit of Domestic Partnership