Our Community > Senior Services > Senior Organizations > Assistance Program

Assistance Program


New York State Insurance Department 
Consumer Services Bureau
Agency Building 1 
Empire State Plaza 
Albany, N.Y. 12223
1-800-342-3736 or www.ins.state.ny.us.

The New York State Insurance Department, among its many functions, regulates rates, supervises employee welfare and pension funds, handles policyholder's complaints, and supervises the liquidation, rehabilitation and conservation of insolvent insurers.

Car Insurance Discount

55 Alive-Mature Driving Course 
Nassau County Department of Senior Citizens
For information call: (516) 571-5814

Upon completion of a two session defensive driving course, seniors receive a partial discount on car insurance.

Consumer Concerns

To register complaints about merchandise, service, weights and measures, or home improvement work contact:

Nassau County Office of Consumer Affairs
200 County Seat Drive
Mineola, N.Y. 11501
(516) 571-2600  

For information about reliability of companies and to register complaints contact:

Better Business Bureau 
266 Main Street Farmingdale, N.Y.11735
(516) 420-0500

Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Nassau County

Home economics and consumer resources are provided to Nassau County residents through classes, resource listings, publications and the Consumer Helpline. Consumer questions are answered 1-3 p.m. daily at:

Home Economics Division
239 FultonAve.Hempstead,  N.Y.11550
Helpline: (516) 454-0900

Credit Bureaus (to order or report lost or stolen credit reports)

Equifax.  www.equifax.com

Experian  www.experian.com

Transunion  www.transunion.com

Limited Income Assistance Programs

Social Security Administration – http://www.ssa.gov.us.ny.     

Supplemental Security Income - SSI
The Social Security Administration administers a program of financial aid to persons 65 or over and to the blind or disabled who are in need of financial assistance. Income and resource eligibility levels must be met at the time a claim is filed. For detailed information regarding eligibility, allotments and application, contact:

Family and Children Association
175 Fulton Avenue (Suite 505)
Hempstead, NY 11550
(516) 292-2600

Medicaid - Medical Assistance
Medicaid pays for medical care and services for needy families and individuals with limited assets and income who qualify under the law. Application must be made in person or through a representative. Bring proof of age, residency and verification of income, assets and medical expenses. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients are eligible for Medicaid. For further information, contact:

Nassau County Department of Social Services 
60 Charles Linbergh Blvd.
Uniondale, N.Y. 11553 
Medicaid (516) 227-8000

Energy/Fuel Assistance

Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)

This program provides a once-a-year benefit to low income homeowners and renters to help pay for fuel or utility costs. Persons age 60 and over, or on SSI can apply by mail. For information on income eligibility levels and application procedure, contact:

Nassau County Department of Senior Citizen Affairs
HEAP Program 
60 Charles Lindbergh Blvd.
Uniondale, N.Y. 11553 
(516) 227-7386

Weatherization Referral and Packaging Program (WRAP)

Low income eligible seniors are assisted in obtaining weatherization services through local providers. An individual plan is developed to include the identification of needs and resources and, thereafter, to provide the coordination of services needed. For information, call: (516) 227-7386

Fuel Emergencies

Emergency Assistance for Adults

Persons on SSI faced with emergency situations such as utility shut-off notices should apply in person for Emergency Assistance for Adults. People, not on SSI and aged 60 or over, with fuel emergencies may,depending on individual assessment, be eligible for assistance. For eligibility information:

Nassau County Department of Social Services
60 Charles Lindbergh Blvd.
Uniondale, N.Y. 11553 
(516) 227-7474
Night Emergency: (516) 572-3143

Home Improvement – Weatherization

Community Development Block Grants

Improvement grants and/or loans are available to the elderly for certain home improvements such as an addition of a roof, ramps and insulation to keep fuel coats down. For additional information: residents in incorporated villages contact your Village Hall.  In unincorporated areas of the town contact Community Development Agency at (516) 621-6770.  

Telephone Assistance - Verizon Lifeline 

VERIZON offers a reduced rate on basic telephone service and installation charges to income eligible residents only. To obtain an application, contact:
VERIZON Consumer Affairs

SRC P.O. Box 1915 
Baltimore, Maryland   20704
1-800-799-6874 or http://www.Verizon.com

Phones For Life Program

The Phones for Life Program collects old cell phones with their charges that normally would be discarded, reprograms them to call 911 only and distributes them free of charge to eligible seniors, the disabled and victims of domestic abuse.  A cell phone is a lifeline in a crisis. The collection sites for people wishing to donate unused cell phones and their recharging units are: 

North Hempstead Town Hall at Plandome Road, Manhasset

(M-F, 9:00 am- 4:45 pm)         

Michael J. Tully Park, Evergreen Avenue, New Hyde Park

(M-F, 9:00 am - 9:30 pm, Sat. 10:00 am - 8:00 pm, Sun. 8:00 am -7:00 pm)                                                                    

Clark Botanical Gardens, I.U. Willets Road, Albertson

(7 days a week, 9:00 am-4:45 pm)                 

Town Of North Hempstead Satellite Office, 817 Prospect Avenue, Westbury

(M-F, 9:00 am- 4:45 pm)

Seniors who would like to receive an emergency cell phone programmed for 911 only can contact Phones for Life at  (917) 834-8268.  The severity of medical conditions and degree of disability are all used to prioritize eligible seniors. 

Veterans' Services

Low-income veterans, widows/widowers or parents of veterans, may be entitled to benefits. For eligibility, contact:

Veterans Service Agency
1425 Old Country Road 
Building H
Plainview, N.Y. 11803-5015
(516) 572-8452 or http://www.va.gov.us.ny.

Limited transportation to Northport V.A. Hospital is available by appointment. Need at least two weeks notice. Please call: (516) 572-8456. Veterans in need of individual and family counseling, drug and alcohol counseling, post traumatic stress disorder counseling, or assistance with entitlements can contact the Veterans Resource Center, a program of:

Family and Children Association
Veterans Resource Center

385 West John Street
Hicksville, N.Y. 11801 
(516) 935-6858

Adult Protective Services

The Department of Social Services investigates, evaluates and provides casework services to adults who are incapable of caring for themselves because of physical or mental impairments. In addition to being unable to meet their essential needs, and have no responsible person willing or able to assist them. These individuals are therefore in danger of hurting themselves or being harmed by others. This service is available to all adult residents of Nassau County who meet this definition without regard to income.

60 Charles Lindberg Blvd.
Uniondale, NY 11553
(516) 227-8472

Elder Abuse

Elder Abuse is the mistreatment or neglect of an elderly person by a relative or other caregiver. It may include physical exploitation, emotional abuse, neglect, or violation of an elderly person's rights. Call: (516) 572-0404

Eldercare Locator

To obtain local information about services available to older persons living in other areas of the country, call the Eldercare Locator between 9 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. Eastern Time. An information specialist will be available to help. It is important to have the following information ready:
1) County and city name or zip code.
2) Brief description of problem
Call: 1-800-677-1116 or www.aginfo.org/elderloc.

Additional Links