FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 1, 2013
Town of North Hempstead Announces Pharmaceutical Drop-off Partnership Program with Law Enforcement & Local School Districts
MEDIA CONTACTS: Collin Nash, Ryan Mulholland, & Sam Marksheid | (516) 869-7794
North Hempstead, NY – Supervisor Jon Kaiman and the North Hempstead Town Board are proud to announce that the Town is once again partnering with the Nassau County Police Department and Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice along with local school districts for the Pharmaceutical Drop-off Program.
This program that has already helped Town residents dispose of 4 tons of pharmaceuticals in the past 4 years, addresses the epidemic of pharmaceutical drug abuse and the potential threat of them entering our drinking water. The drop-off program allows residents to safely dispose of expired and unwanted prescription and over-the-counter medications.
“North Hempstead realizes the dangers of having prescription drugs in the hands of teens, as well as in our landfills,” said Supervisor Kaiman. “By teaming up with our public schools, we continue to educate our youth on how disposing of unwanted and expired pharmaceuticals protects our environment.”
To help protect our drinking water and our bays and keep your family safe, residents are urged to discard pharmaceuticals at each of the Stop Throwing Out Pollutants (S.T.O.P.) events, as well as the public schools listed below:
• September 7: S.T.O.P. Program from 9:30am - 3:00pm, located at Tully Park, 1801 Evergreen Ave, New Hyde Park
• September 21: Sewanhaka School District from 10:00am - 1:00pm, located at New Hyde Park Memorial High School, 500 Leonard Boulevard, New Hyde Park
• September 28: Herricks School District from 10:00 am - 1:00pm, located at Herricks Community Center, 999 Herricks Road, New Hyde Park
• October 5: Carle Place School District from 10:00am - 1:00pm, located at Carle Place Middle/High School, 168 Cherry Lane, Carle Place
• October 5: Port Washington School District from 10:00am - 1:00pm, located at Sousa Elementary, 101 Sands Point Road, Port Washington
• October 19: East Williston School District from 10:00am - 1:00pm, located at The Wheatley School, 11 Bacon Road, Old Westbury
• October 26: Manhasset School District from 9:30am - 2:00pm, located at Manhasset Park District lot across from Manhasset High School
• October 26: Great Neck School District from 10:00am - 1:00pm, located at JFK Elementary 1A Grass Field Road
• November 3: S.T.O.P. Program from 9:30am - 3:00pm, located at North Hempstead Beach Park, 175 West Shore Road, Port Washington
For more information please call 311.
Supervisor Kaiman at a Pharmaceutical Drop-off event.