A Message from Supervisor Bosworth: Coronavirus Update
Last Updated 7/7/20:
As we continue the path forward, we are on track to enter phase 4 next Wednesday, July 8. That will include some low-risk indoor and outdoor activities, allowing us to issue permits for our fields to be used for practice and little league games.
We are eagerly anticipating the reopening of our Town pools next Wednesday as well. Please note, the Town's parks department is still trying to hire lifeguards and attendants for the summer season. Anyone interested in applying should email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 311.
Our Town parks and beaches remain open for passive use. Fees for beaches and parks have been waived for the summer due to the pandemic. Additionally, beaches are presently operating at a 50% capacity and remain limited to Nassau County residents only. Please note that early opening hours for senior residents at North Hempstead Beach Park will not be available this weekend, but they will resume on Monday, July 6.
In addition to our playgrounds being open, I am also pleased to announce that the spray pads located at Town parks are now open daily from 9 a.m. to sunset. Attendance at both will of course be monitored to make sure social distancing guidelines are followed.
Looking ahead, our Town Board is going to be offering virtual office hours via Zoom. This program presents a unique opportunity for our residents to communicate directly with their representatives from the comfort of their own homes. These office hours will be scheduled by appointment only. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 311.
Every summer, I and the Town Board look forward to attending our FunDay Monday events at the beach with our seniors. Due to the pandemic, we had to find another way to offer these events, and we did. Our FunDay Mondays will now be offered virtually on North Hempstead TV and mynhtv.com. Programming will begin airing on July 6, and there will be new episodes throughout the summer, starting every Monday at 11 a.m. - culminating with a special salute to our veterans and armed forces airing on August 24. This is another way to provide fun and engaging activities, while continuing to maintain social distancing guidelines.
Our drive-in movie series continues to be a hot ticket, and we have just released our schedule for the month of July. The slate of upcoming movies includes: Sonic the Hedgehog at Westbury High School on July 11 & 12, the 1993 original Jurassic Park at North Hempstead Beach Park in Port Washington on July 18, and Space Jam, also at North Hempstead Beach Park, on July 25.
While the events are free, the Town is encouraging attendees to bring non-perishable foods to each showing as part of North Hempstead's donation drive. Residents must register their cars in advance by visiting NorthHempsteadNY.gov/drivein or by calling 311. Registration is open to residents even if they have previously attended Town drive-in events.
We are trying to find every opportunity to provide you with the fun and exciting programs you have come to expect - despite the pandemic. I really have to laud the efforts of our Town employees who continue to go above and beyond in extremely challenging circumstances.
So as we approach the July 4th weekend, I want to wish you all a happy and safe Independence Day.
Please keep in mind we are still in the midst of a pandemic and it is so important that we all must still wear our masks when we are unable to social distance, frequently wash our hands, and continue to remain cautious.
We are a family here in North Hempstead, and by working together, we will persevere and come out of this stronger than ever.
As always, please be smart and stay safe. Thank you.
Supervisor Judi Bosworth
TONH Positive Cases by Community (Source)
A listing of all TONH communities and the number of positive COVID-19 cases reported for the specific communities. There are also two columns following each date that shows the change from the prior reporting date in count and percentage.
Tracking NYS Metrics - LI Region (Source)
A report that includes a trend table tracking the 7 metrics required for the LI Region to enter phase 1 and future phases as part of the NY Forward initiative set forth by the Governor. This report also includes each date’s table as a comparative tool to view other regions.
Click here to see the updated reports.
Closures and Updates:
- Town pool facilities will be open beginning July 8 for the summer season. This includes pool facilities located at Manorhaven Beach Park, Martin “Bunky” Reid, and Whitney Pond Park which will be open to all Town residents. For the 2020 summer season, the Town will be waiving all fees for pool facilities. For more information and for rules, click here.
- The Town Building Department reopened on May 28 as part of of Phase 1 from New York State. The Building Department will accept applications for minor work by US Mail or package delivery. Requests for the status of existing files and applications can be achieved through via email at Buildings@northhempsteadny.gov. Residents can also schedule an appointment via email for the submission of large Building Permit applications. There will be no walk-in service until further notice. Residents without email access can call 516-869-6311 for assistance. All other existing construction work comments or questions should be directed to the assigned inspector for that project.
- The Town has announced that restaurants can apply for outdoor dining permits free of charge. Application information can be found by clicking here.
- Parks facilities including: the "Yes
We Can" Community Center, the Michael J. Tully Park Aquatic Activities
Center, the Clinton G. Martin Park building and the Fuschillo Park
building are closed. As of Monday, May 11 North Hempstead Town Parks
will reopen for passive use. The Championship Golf Course at Harbor
Links will be reopening on a limited basis on May 11 as well. Everyone
is still being advised that they must follow precautionary measures to
ensure the safety of both residents and Town employees.
- Visit www.mynhtv.com to see the latest virtual programming from North Hempstead TV (NHTV)'s the Town's public access television station. In person Project Independence exercise classes are canceled until further notice, but virtual programming can be viewed on NHTV.
- Project Independence's food shopping transportation program will be extending its hours to 7 a.m. to 2 p.m, 7 days a week. Riders will be picked up individually. Call 311 or 516-869-611, Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or Saturday through Sunday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. to make an appointment. Taxi ride costs (including tips) are being waived.
- The Clerk's Office is currently taking appointments for the processing of marriage licenses for Town of North Hempstead residents only. This process is done in person and by appointment ONLY on Monday, Wednesday, Friday mornings. Couples should call 311 or 516-869-6311, or email email@example.com to make an appointment.
Supervisor Judi Bosworth and the Town Board unanimously approved
various building permit extensions, policy modifications, and the waiver
of certain permit fees, in an effort to assist residents during the
current state of emergency. For more information click here.
- Town facilities will remain closed to the public. Essential services, such as 311, the Clerk's office, and sanitation, will continue to operate as the Town maintains the continuity of government. Please call 311 for updated information about the Office of the Town Clerk and Receiver of Taxes.
- The Town's 311 Call Center is open 7 days a week from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Town bid openings and RFP proposal deadlines are being rescheduled and extended. Please check the Bid (www.northhempsteadny.gov/bids) and RFP (www.northhempsteadny.gov/RFPs) pages of the Town's website for the updated dates. Any questions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Community Services programming is canceled until further notice, please call 311 or 516-869-6311 for the latest updates.
- The Port Washington Parking District 6 a.m. to 9:45 a.m., Monday through Friday.
For more information, please visit:
Nassau County Department of Health COVID-19 Positive Tests Map: https://www.nassaucountyny.gov/4946/Coronavirus-COVID-19
New York State Coronavirus Updates: now.ny.gov/page/s/coronavirus-updates
New York State Board of Health: https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/coronavirus/
Nassau County Board of Health: https://www.nassaucountyny.gov/1652/Health-Department
New York State Coronavirus Hotline: 1-888-364-3065
New York State Coronavirus Price Gouging Complaint Form: https://ag.ny.gov/price-gouging-complaint-form
Nassau County Department of Consumer Affairs: email@example.com or call 516-571-2600
Click here to view the archive of updates.