FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 1, 2023
MEDIA CONTACTS: Gordon Tepper, Rebecca Cheng and Michael Anderson | (516) 869-7794
Brian Devine | (516) 869-2475
North Hempstead Reminds Residents About Lithium-Ion Battery Safety
North Hempstead, NY – Lithium-ion batteries continue to power many of the devices we use in our daily lives. The Town of North Hempstead would like to remind residents it is important to take the proper steps when using, storing, and charging these devices. To help residents stay safe, North Hempstead has compiled a list of lithium-ion battery safety tips.
• Look for the Underwriters Laboratories Mark when purchasing new items with lithium-ion batteries. The UL mark ensures that the product has been safety tested.
• Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for charging and proper storage.
• Always use the manufacturer’s provided charging cord (which are made specifically for that device).
• Keep lithium-ion batteries at room temperature. Do not leave them in a hot car or in direct sunlight.
• Charge your batteries at room temperature.
• Do not leave devices unattended or near sleeping and egress areas while charging.
• Do not leave e-bikes or e-scooters in common hall areas that may need to be accessed in case of a fire.
Also remember to check for strange odors, a change in the device’s shape or color, or odd noises as these may be signs of a problem with the device’s battery.
Lithium-ion batteries should not be thrown in the trash or recycling bin. They can be safely disposed of at a Town S.T.O.P. event. For more information on how you can properly dispose of lithium-ion batteries, visit: www.northhempsteadny.gov/STOPprogram