Our Government > Town Clerk > Marriage > Marriage License Information

Marriage License Information

Town of North Hempstead
Town Clerk Registrar's Office
200 Plandome Rd.
Manhasset, NY 11030
Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
(516) 869-6311

The health and safety of our staff and constituents in our community is our highest priority. Because of the ongoing pandemic, we are not able to operate as we normally do.   With COVID numbers on the rise again, please note that office hours, appointments, and procedures are subject to change at any time without prior notification.

Thank you for your understanding during this trying time and we will get through this together.

**PLEASE NOTE: The Clerk's Office is currently taking appointments for the processing of marriage licenses for Town of North Hempstead residents only. This process is done in person and by appointment ONLY.
Couples should call 311 or 516-869-6311, or email feedback@northhempsteadny.gov to make an appointment**

Marriage Frequently Asked Questions

Please download the Marriage Application and Marriage Application Checklist below:

Marriage Application

Marriage Application Checklist

On June 24, 2011, the New York State Legislature passed the Marriage Equality Law, which was signed into law by Governor Andrew M. Cuomo the same day. This new law went into effect on July 24, 2011. The Town Clerk's Office now issues marriage licenses to same-sex couples. State law requires couples to wait 24 hours after receiving a license before they can be married.

The office is open late the first and third Wednesday of each month.  Marriage Licenses are issued from 
3:15 PM to 6:30 PM.


NOTE: Call to verify that the office is open during inclement weather on extended hour Wednesdays.

A couple who intends to be married in New York State must apply in person for a marriage license at any town or city clerk in the State. The application for a license must be sworn and signed in the presence of the issuing clerk by both individuals.

A representative cannot apply for the license on behalf of the couple. This applies even if the representative has been given the Power of Attorney. Notarized marriage license affidavits signed by the  individuals getting married cannot be substituted for their personal appearance.

All applicants must bring valid forms of identification when applying for a marriage license. Expired forms of identification will not be accepted. 

2 Forms of Identification are necessary, one from each column per person.

Column 1 Column 2
Proof of age and identity:

* A Certified Record of Birth.  

* A Baptismal Record.

*A Naturalization Record.
One current identification related document with photo:

* Valid, current U.S. Driver's License or valid U.S. Non-Driver's license.

* Valid passport, non U.S. passports must have current VISA.

* U.S. Military Identification.

* Valid and unexpired Green Card.

Photocopies of the above documents will not be accepted as proof of identity.

All foreign documents, not in English, require a certified translation. Acceptable are those produced by consulates, embassies and universities.

Information regarding all previous marriages must be furnished in the application for a marriage license. This includes whether the applicants are divorced, whether the former spouse or spouses are living and, if so, when, where and against whom the divorce or divorces were granted.

A certified copy of the last Decree of Divorce with Official Seal or a Certificate of Dissolution of Marriage is required. Divorce papers in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified translation. If widow or widower, a certified copy of death certificate must be presented.

$40.00 fee must be paid in exact change or money order, no personal checks! Fees are set by the State of New York and may be changed at any time.

A marriage license is valid for 60 days.  Before you can get married, there is a 24-hour waiting period from the time the license is issued.

Age Requirements:
If either applicant is under 17 years of age, a marriage license cannot be issued.

If either applicant is 17 years of age, such applicants must present the written consent of both parents and a justice of the Supreme Court or a judge of the Family Court having jurisdiction over the town or city in which the application is made.

If both applicants are 18 years of age or older, no consents are required.

Marriage Licenses can also be obtained at the following locations:

Town Hall of Hempstead
1 Washington St.
Hempstead, NY  11550
(516) 489-5000
Town Hall of Oyster Bay
54 Audrey Avenue
Oyster Bay, NY  11771
City of Glen Cove
9-13 Glen St.
Glen Cove, NY  11542
Municipal Building
851 Grand Concourse
New York, NY 10007
Boro Hall
120-55 Queens Boulevard
Kew Gardens, NY
A New York State Marriage License
can be obtained at any Town or City
Clerk's Office.

No premarital examination or blood test is required to obtain a marriage license in New York State.

Marriage Certificate Information

Married couples who have received their marriage license in person at the Town of North Hempstead Registrar Office are able to obtain an official copy of their Marriage Certificate through our office. 
Regardless of residency, we will only have the certificate if the couple received the license in our office originally.

Who can receive a copy of the Marriage Certificate? 

  • Must be the bride or groom
  • Power of attorney, legal need for document—and provide all documents stating the need
  • CANNOT be a parent, step-child, ex-spouse

How can I obtain a Marriage Certificate?

  • Office:

    The health and safety of our staff and constituents in our community is our highest priority. Because of the ongoing pandemic, we are not able to operate as we normally do. Though our office is open to the public, please make an appointment in order to maintain proper social distancing in the office. We ask that all business be done through the mail whenever possible. We are not able to guarantee that walk-in requests can be processed while you wait.

Mail request: Write a letter including the following:

  • Groom’s name
  • Bride’s name with maiden name
  • Date of the marriage
  • Phone number MUST be included (in the event we need to contact the requester)
  • Copy of state issued photo ID (and any other required documents)
  • $10 money order per copy requested (personal checks not accepted)
  • Self-addressed envelope (fed-ex if want sent back overnight)
  • *Address to send it to at top of document*


For DMV purposes, Marriage Licenses obtained prior to 1986 did not have the option to identify “surname after marriage” as do the licenses in 1986 and thereafter.